Friday, April 30, 2010

Bohol Philippines

Our final big outing while we were overseas was to the island Bohol in the Philippines. Bohol is located about an hour away via another (not as glamorous) ferry ride. Bohol is famous for a few different things.

First is the Chocolate Hills. During most of the year, these hills aren't covered in green plants and look like big mounds of chocolate, hence the name.

Bohol Philippines

Here are a couple other shots from the lookout:
Bohol Philippines

Bohol Philippines

Here's a shot of Mushna with our friends Lizzie (left) and Marilyn (middle):

Bohol Philippines

Here I am with Mushna and her Dad:
Bohol Philippines

These are Mushna's Classmates from college who came along on the trip with us:
Bohol Philippines

One of my favorite things about the Philippines in general was some of the sings. I only got a couple pictures of the more interesting ones. I'm curious if people actually do deposit their firearms here:
Bohol Philippines

The next stop was a butterfly sanctuary. Here's Mushna with a butterfly on her head.

Bohol Philippines

Mushna took this shot of a butterfly on her Dad's face...
Bohol Philippines

And this shot of me holding one:
Bohol Philippines

This is a really bizarre flower I've never seen before. That's about all I know about it.

Bohol Philippines

We made a quick stop for photos in this large, man-made forest:
Bohol Philippines

For lunch, we hopped on these boats with tables and a full buffet on them. You float down the river as you eat:

Bohol Philippines

These kids were diving into the water for us:
Bohol Philippines

At one point you pull up to a dock and some local people put on a show for the tourists:

Bohol Philippines

Bohol Philippines

Bohol Philippines

Bohol Philippines

Once we got back to shore, we head down a bit further and visited the Tarsiers. Tarsiers are extremely endangered. These people obtain licenses to care for a designated number of the animals. While in the cage, you can't touch them or use flash photography. Since they're nocturnal a bright camera flash would probably put them in a coma it would hit them so hard.
Bohol Philippines

Mushna got this shot of me right next to one:
Bohol Philippines

After the Tarsiers, we visited Prony, the world's largest snake in captivity.

Bohol Philippines

Bohol Philippines

I'm not sure what this guy is, but I really liked this shot.

Bohol Philippines

While there, I found my second favorite sign:
Bohol Philippines

We stopped by this old church on the way back to the docks:

Bohol Philippines

Bohol Philippines

Bohol Philippines

I got a couple good shots of the sunset on the boat ride home:

Bohol Philippines

Bohol Philippines

Bohol was fun, but it was very hot that day and we were outside a lot so I was feeling pretty beat up by the end of the trip.

2 comments:

steve-o said...

I've never had much interest in visiting the Philippines, but that Chocolate Hills place looks pretty damn cool.

Unknown said...

So does the fact that I commented on your posts make up for the fact that I haven't been reading them? That looks like a really fun trip and I am a little jeleous that you went. It was good seeing you and meeting your wife (and accidently insulting her over and over again). I'll have Anna add your blog to my reader and then I'll keep up with it.

Awesome pictures too! Some of those looked like stuff people would pay money for (not me I'm a cheap freaker)