Saturday, May 30, 2009

My First Strobist (Off Camera Flash) Attempt

Mushna bought me the Canon 580 EX II speedlite for my camera which can trigger my 430 EX wirelessly. Today I went to Pictureline and bought an umbrella and light stand so we went up to Hobble Creek to give it a try. I'm pretty impressed with my first attempt at using the flash off-camera. Everything was dialed in manually, including my camera and the power of the flash.

Here is the full set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypnoeyez99/sets/72157618945002473/

Hobble Creek Canyon

Hobble Creek Canyon

Hobble Creek Canyon

Hobble Creek Canyon

Hobble Creek Canyon


Here is a shot (taken by Mushna) of me:
Hobble Creek Canyon

Speaking of light, last weekend the weather was awful so I built my own lightbox roughly following the instructions here:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

Here is my version:

DIY Light Box

DIY Light Box

And here is my first (and only so far) shot taken inside the lightbox:

Wedding Rings

3 comments:

Steve-o said...

Very nice photos. What lenses were you using for each of the photos?

I have a white box at work that I haven't actually tried using, but maybe I should. It's portable and about the size of a 17" laptop bag, and also came with red and black material for the sides of the box. Maybe I should get it out--looks like it could be fun.

Marcus said...

For the shots of Mushna, I was using the 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM.

The shots of the light box were taken with my 50 mm f/1.8.

The shot of the ring was taken with my 100 mm f/2.8 Macro.

The light box was fun to play with. I would definitely suggest picking up a macro lens. That's the only lens I tried that gave me enough magnification that I didn't have to crop my shot by like 90% (at least when shooting my rings).

little ms. sassy shelby said...

That picture of Mushna blowing the dandelion puff thing is gorgeous. As is the one of just the dandelion. Good job!